As a childcare on domestic, we would like to welcome you and your child to Little Smile Nursery and we hope that a very happy and successful time lies ahead. We aim to enable your child achieves their fullest potential in order to be ready for their school life.
The premise is based in a house and the feeling is very homely. We have 1 main nursery room, which is mainly used by 3-4 year olds, and 1 messy room which is occupied by all the children during activities and meal times. We also have an upstairs baby room which is used by the under 2 year olds. In the nursery is 2 bathrooms, one upstairs and one downstairs, the entire nappy changes take place in the upstairs bathroom. We change the nappies every 2 hours and in between if needed. The baby room is used as a sleeping room between 12pm and 2pm by all the babies and other children who want to sleep.
There is also an outdoor garden which the children have an opportunity to play in everyday, regardless of the weather. The activities outdoors change daily according to the children’s interests. We have a slide, sand pit, cars, bicycles and scooters which the children can use whenever they want.
At Little Smile Nursery, we are one big family, and your child will have a fantastic time at the nursery.
We support the children in their development by building on their interest and we encourage the parents to be involved. We have projects for families if they would like to participate and have asked for items to be produces from well known stories, and our Paddington bear likes to visit the children’s homes and brings back stories.
We build up a portfolio of all the children which includes observations and learning stories of their time at the nursery, individual monthly planning which the children have full input into, alongside is photos of them playing and samples of their creations they make while they are with us. We support the children in their transition to school and provide reports for the schools the children will attend to.
We offer settling in sessions for your child before they start with us, this is for both the child and the parents, so the child gets used to the setting. We encourage the parents to stay and join in with the activities with your child. At Little Smile Nursery, we ask for you to pick up the child by the time their session is up, if for any reason you are late, you will be allowed 5 minutes after the session ending time, after that you will be charged £1 for every minute you are late. If you will be late and know this beforehand, please ring us to let us know.
For our nursery, the ways in which your child engages with other adults and children and the environment is by playing and exploring, active learning, and creating and thinking critically. These 3 things underpin learning and development across all the areas and support your child to remain an effective and motivated learner. The learning is divided into 7 areas of learning and development:
Personal, Social and Emotional development
This area is about emotional well-being, knowing who you are and where you fit and feeling good about yourself. It is also about developing respect for others, social competence and a positive disposition to learn.
Communication and Language
This area includes communication, speaking and listening in different social situations and for different purposes.
This area is about improving skills of coordination, control, manipulation and movement. Physical development has 2 very important aspects; it helps children to gain confidence in what they can do and enables them to feel the positive benefits of being healthy and active. Effective physical development helps children have a positive sense of wellbeing.
This area includes being read a wide range of books and reading simple texts, and writing for a variety of purposes.
This area includes counting, sorting, matching, seeking patterns, making connections, recognising relationships and working with numbers, shape, space, and measures. Mathematical understanding should be developed through stories, songs, games and imaginative play, so that children enjoy using and experimenting with numbers, including numbers larger than 10.
Understanding of the world
This area of leaning, children are developing the crucial knowledge, skills and understanding that help them to make sense of the world. This forms the basics of Science, History, Geography, and ICT.
Expressive Arts and Design
Creativity enables the children to make communication between one area of learning and another and so extending their understanding. This area of learning includes Art, Music, Dance, role-play and imaginative-play.
In order for children to realise their full potential, parents and teachers need to work together, and we pride ourselves on our parent partnership. We would like to show you the importance of this partnership in order to make the expected progress for your child.
By the end of their nursery year, they are expected:
Personal, Social and Emotional development
- To play cooperatively, taking turns with others
- To speak in a familiar group, talking about their ideas
- To talk about their own and others’ behaviour, its consequences, and know some behaviour is unacceptable
Communication and language
- Express themselves effectively, showing awareness of listeners’ needs
- Use past, present and future forms accurately when talking about events that have happened or are going to happen
- Develop their own storylines or narratives into their play
- To show a preference for a dominant hand
- To begin to form recognisable letters
- To eat a healthy range of foodstuffs and understand the need for variety in food
- Hear and say the initial sound in words
- Write own name
- Link sounds to letters, naming and sounding the letters of the alphabet
- Select the correct numeral to represent 1 to 5 objects, then 1 to 10
- Count reliably with numbers from one to twenty
- Begin to use mathematical names for ‘solid’ 3D shapes and ‘flat’ 2D shapes, and mathematical terms to describe shapes
Understanding the world
- Make observations of animals and plants and explain why some things occur, and talk about changes
- Complete a single program on a computer
- Enjoy joining in with family customs and routines
Expressive Arts and Design
- Sing songs, make music and dance and experiment with ways of changing them
- Play cooperatively as part of a group to develop and act out a narrative
- Use simple tools and techniques competently and appropriately
- Nearly all small children enjoy messy play, and some of the Nursery activities are messy. We do have aprons for the children to wear, but sometimes they still get paint on their clothes, or wet clothes.
Snacks and Celebrations
The children have access to water and milk throughout the day and are offered fruit on a daily basis. We have parties for special occasions, and for children’s birthdays, we have a small celebration with a cake from home. We do lots of cooking in the nursery, however if your child has any allergies please let us know.
Administering Medicines Procedure
Medicines should only be brought to the nursery when essential, when you do bring medicine, we are only allowed to give a doctor prescribed medicine on the completion of an appropriate form.
Child Care Vouchers and NEG Grant
At Little Smile Nursery we accept a variety of different childcare vouchers for our full-time and part-time service.
We also get funding from the local government for free 15 hours of childcare for your child, if you are suitable. You will be suitable if your child is aged 3 or 4 years old, and 2 year olds get the grant depending on your income. We are flexible with our times, so feel free to discuss it with us.
Parents Guide for Children issued by Local Authorities
POLICIES AND PROCEDURES ARE AVAILABLE FROM THE NURSERY OFFICE ON REQUEST